Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread from allrecipes.com
1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (kumis )
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal (arepina )
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch (I used a rectangular glass casserole )square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet ( I used a pot ). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 (only 30 minutes in my small convection oven) to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.